Присяжних звільнено у справі про зґвалтування ковбоя-вершника

  • D

    By Dan McCray

  • ABC Southern Qld

  • Topic:Courts

Posted Fri 21 Aug 2026 at 6:07pmFri 21 Aug 2026 at 6:07pmFri 21 Aug 2026 at 6:07pm, updated Fri 21 Aug 2026 at 6:22pmFri 21 Aug 2026 at 6:22pmFri 21 Aug 2026 at 6:22pm

A smiling man in a leather vest and cowboy hat.

The jury in the trial of bull rider Clay Benjamin Hall failed to reach a majority verdict on one of the charges after hours of deliberations. (Instagram)

In short:

The jury in the rape trial of competitive bull rider Clay Benjamin Hall has been discharged after failing to reach a verdict on one of two charges.

After more than eight hours of deliberations, the jury unanimously found Mr Hall not guilty of one count of rape but was unable to reach a verdict on a second count.

What's next?

The unresolved matter will return to the Warwick District Court on September 17.

 

abc.net.au/news/clay-benjamin-hall-bull-rider-rape-trial-jury-discharged/107064710Link copiedShareShare article

The jury in the rape trial of competitive bull rider Clay Benjamin Hall has been discharged after failing to reach a verdict on one of two charges in relation to an incident in Warwick in 2021.

After more than eight hours of deliberations the jury unanimously found Mr Hall not guilty of one count of rape but was unable to reach a verdict on a second count related to the same incident.

Sexual assault support lines:

  • Men's Referral Service: 1300 766 491
  • Lifeline (24-hour crisis line): 131 114
  • Victims of Crime Helpline: 1800 819 817
  • Full Stop Australia: 1800 385 578

Justice Philip McCarthy KC discharged the jury today after it failed to reach a unanimous or majority verdict on the remaining charge.

The court was told Mr Hall met the girl, who was in her late teens at the time, on a street in Warwick, about 160 kilometres south-west of Brisbane, in the early hours of October 2021.

Prosecutors alleged Mr Hall, now 26, raped the teenager after she offered to show him a shortcut to the Warwick Showgrounds.

The court heard the teenager had been drinking and had been at a house party with people she did not know before she met Mr Hall.

A young, dark-haired man in sunglasses and a suit walks along a city street.

Clay Benjamin Hall told police in 2023 that he had been given consent by the complainant. (ABC Southern Qld: Grace Nakamura)

Mr Hall was in Warwick to watch his brother compete at the Warwick Rodeo.

The court heard Mr Hall, who was not competing because of an injury, had also been drinking before walking to a service station to buy food in the early hours of the morning.

A key issue at trial was whether the sexual activity between Mr Hall and the complainant was consensual.

Defence barrister David Jones KC told the jury it was not in dispute that Mr Hall and the complainant had vaginal intercourse but rejected the allegation that anal penetration had occurred.

Jurors were shown a recording of a 2023 police interview in which Mr Hall said he propositioned the teenager and initially received no response but later he claimed was given consent.

The jury was also shown police interviews conducted with the complainant at hospital on the morning of the incident and later that day at a police station.

The complainant gave evidence during the trial and was cross-examined by the defence.

During deliberations jurors asked to view the complainant's recorded interviews again.

After more than eight hours of deliberations, Justice McCarthy gave the jury a majority verdict direction, allowing it to return a verdict if 11 jurors agreed and one disagreed.

But the jury later indicated it was unable to reach a majority verdict.

While discharging the jury, Justice McCarthy thanked jurors for their work.

"Whilst you may have a frustration, you worked very hard. Your endeavour was appreciated and I appreciated the way you took upon your task in this courtroom," he said.

The unresolved charge remains before the court and the matter will return to the Warwick District Court for a callover on September 17.

    Share options

  • Copy link
  • Facebook
  • X (formerly Twitter)

See more ABC coverage in your search results

Make ABC a preferred source in Google

Top Stories

Women in Swans scandal suffering 'severe stress and anxiety', lawyer says

Topic:AFL

The Pullman Hotel sign as seen through leaves

Israel open to compensating Zomi Frankcom's family, ambassador says

Topic:Government and Politics

A woman wearing a cap stands in front of palm trees

Man charged with foreign interference had 'military-style training' in Russia

Topic:Security Intelligence

AFP Commissioner Krissy Barrett speaks at a press conference

Teenage boy charged with alleged murder of 13-year-old girl fronts court

Topic:Youth Crime

A picture of a girl looking at the camera

Tony Burke breaks silence on ex-ASIO agent's Bondi royal commission testimony

Topic:Royal Commissions

Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke walking into the House of Representatives, carrying an armful of folders and books.

No votes yet.
Please wait...

Залишити відповідь

Ваша e-mail адреса не оприлюднюватиметься. Обов’язкові поля позначені *